Business owners and marketers spend a great deal of time trying to pull traffic towards their websites and that’s a good thing. But with less than 5% of first time visitors making a conversion what happens to the other 95% of traffic that leaves the site?
Should we just hope and pray that these visitors return or should we be doing something to encourage them to come back and to make that all-important conversion?
You may thinks that’s a rhetorical question but take a look around the internet and you’ll come across quite a few sites with poor content that don’t do anything to encourage customer sign-ups or registrations.
Why is this important?
Because, you don’t want to leave your marketing to chance. There’s no point in spending a great deal of time, effort and money getting your website looking good, optimized for the search engines and full of relevant, quality content and then just walking away and hoping for the best.
The vast majority of visitors to your site will just be browsing, they’re interested in what you’re doing or offering but it’s just not the right time for them to buy or choose your services. Some time in the future they’ll have a requirement and they may come back to your site or they may not, unless you encourage them.
You need to tell those visitors what you want them to do next before they leave your site. This may be your one and only chance so you need to provide a strong reason for them to provide you with their email address, there’s has to be something of value in it for them.
By adding an email capture block to the key pages of your website, you can build your own audience by encouraging visitors to subscribe to your blog or enewsletter or download your ebook or view your webinar. By capturing their email address you can keep those people informed and up-to-date with your news, progress or new products and services. Not every visitor will sign up but those who do can be persuaded to return to your site on a regular basis increasing the chances that they’ll buy from you.
Owning your audience and introducing an email marketing plan enables a proactive approach to marketing to an audience that has shown an interest in what you have to offer. Surely that makes more sense than just hoping people click through to your site from the search results or buying irrelevant data lists of people who don’t even know you?