Not everyone who visits your site will be ready to buy or convert. In fact studies show that only around 5% of first time web visitors are in buying mode. So what do you do about the other 95%?
Well it’s important to incorporate a lead capture mechanism on your web pages where people can exchange their email address in return for something they deem to be valuable for example, an ebook or to register for a regular enewsletter. This is important because we need that email address to start marketing to people. But in many cases these people are not really leads, at this stage they are mainly contacts. We need a process that moves contacts through to become leads to become prospects and eventually fee paying customers.
They won’t all convert but your process can help encourage as many as possible.
The best way to nurture these contacts or leads is through email marketing.
Yes we will get a knock on benefit from our other marketing activities such as blogging and social media marketing. But email marketing can be very targeted.
To get the biggest impact make sure you segment your database based on personas and tailor the content to where they may be in the buyers’ journey.
The wonder of autoresponders
Most email service providers support autoresponders. An autoresponder allows you to write a series of emails in advance and send them out one by one on a date of your choosing e.g. if someone registers for your blog then you can automatically send them a number of follow up emails every few days highlighting other blog posts or articles they may be interested in.
By keeping track of what they do you can determine how interested they may be in your services and eventually you may decide to contact them directly, with an offer. This process is much more effective than mass mailshots.
If you send links to other “gated” content e.g. ebooks, webinars, technical articles you will be able to track those contacts that download multiple items. Each item can be given a score, say 20 points. When someone reaches an agreed total (50 points) this contact can be forwarded to the sales team to follow up.
Don’t forget your existing customer base. A regular email will keep your customers up-to-date with your activities, new products or services, special offers and events and can provide an opportunity to cross-sell additional services.
Key tip: Your database will deteriorate by 25% per year so make sure you have a process to keep it clean and to acquire new contacts.
For a more detailed explanation of how to get more from your marketing activities, read the ebook: 6 Stages To Inbound Marketing Success.
If you want a better understanding of the digital landscape, sign up for my FREE Digital Marketing Journey programme